Asus is that brand of personal computing which gathered the attention of people by providing them high end performing laptops in an excellent budget range also. Products manufactured by Asus includes top-notch motherboards, graphic cards, and every other thing which an avid PC user needs. However, even though Asus laptops provide some of the best durability and high-end performance, users face some weird problems that need to be solved. One of those problems that Asus users are facing is with the keyboard. It’s been found out Asus keyboard backlight not working in some cases, and that’s why we decided to share some insights on how you can fix it.
The cases of Asus keyboard backlight not working are increasing, and users are in a dilemma about what’s causing this error, and how they can fix it. Many reasons could be behind this irritating problem. Also, one should know the cause before implementing any solutions to fix it.
Reasons Behind Why Asus Keyboard’s Backlights Are Not Working?
After researching it’s been found more than 70% of the surveyed users who were facing this issue have recently upgraded to using Windows 10. It’s usual that when an operating system is updated, the computer modules need to be also updated. So if you have recently shifted to using Windows 10 then, don’t worry the problem is quite common and easy to fix. Here are some main reasons why keyboard lights in your Asus laptop are not working.
- Hardware Issues:- If the computer’s hardware is not correctly synced with the existing operating systems, then you will face such types of problems. If that’s the case, then checking hardware, and fixing issues associated with it will resolve this issue.
- Outdated Drivers:- If the system which you are using hasn’t updated the required drivers for keyboards, then also you will stumble on this type of problem.
- Installation File Error:- If the installation file which is usually responsible for managing hotkeys is not fully executed in your system, then it could affect the working of keyboards
How To Fix Asus Keyboard Backlight Not Working In Windows 10
There are some definitive ways through which we can fix this issue, and those are mentioned below. But before we move toward the real solution. You should make sure the internet connection you are working fine, and you are logged in as an administrator in the system.
- Method 1:- Power Cycling The Laptop
- Method 2:- Executing hcontrol.exe File
- Method 3:- Using Hardware Troubleshooter
Method 1:- Power Cycling The Laptop
One of the easiest and quickest ways to fix this type of error is power cycling the laptop. The power cycle is a process of turning off the computer and turning it on again. It can be done with just a few steps. This whole process will reset any misconfiguration happening in the system, and here is how you can do it.
- Turn off the computer and remove the power cable
- Now remove the battery also, then press and hold the power button for a few seconds.
- Wait for a few minutes, and then plug everything back to the same position.
- Now Restart the system.
Check whether this fixes the issue or not if the problem persists then move on to the next solution.
Method 2:- Executing hcontrol.exe File
Every Asus laptop has an executable file named hcontrol.exe, whose primary objective is to manage all the hotkeys and functions related to it. If this File is not executed correctly, then the keyboard and related parts will not perform accordingly. So in this solution, we will try to initiate hcontrol.exe File manually, and see whether this resolves the problem.
- Press the Windows Key + E to open the file explorer and go to this path-
- C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey, if the program files are stored in different locations, then go there.
- Now search for “hcontrol.exe” file. When you find it, double click on it.
- See, whether the keyboard’s back lights are working correctly.
Method 3:- Using Hardware Troubleshooter
Another excellent method that can help you is to run the hardware and device troubleshooter. This program will make sure whether drivers which are installed are working correctly or not. If there are some drivers which are outdated, hardware troubleshooters can help to find them out.
- Press Windows Key+R to open the dialogue box, then type control.exe and click on OK.
- Go to the top ride side of the screen, click on “view by” and select “large icons” option.
- Now click on “Troubleshooting” option.
- Then from the left side, click on the “View all” option to get the full list of troubleshooting.
- Select “hardware and devices” from that list and click on it.
- A new window will pop on the screen and click on the “next”.
- Now the process of troubleshooting will start, and the tool will have some issues if there are any, and fix it.
- Restart your computer after the fix is completed.
Method 4:- Manually Reinstalling Keyboard’s Drivers
If the keyboard driver in your system is not up to date or got corrupted when you upgrade the stem to Windows 10, then you need to reinstall keyboard drivers to fix this issue. You will have to download the required drivers for keyboard and other parts which are not working correctly. We highly recommend getting keyboard drivers from the official website of the company, and here is how to do it.
- Go to the official Asus download center, and then enter the product details.
- Put the model name in the box like shown below.
- Now, after selecting the operating system of your computer, you will find the following drivers.
- Select the utility and download it. Then right-click on each utility you download, and select option Run as administrator.
- After the installation is finished, Restart the computer.
So this is how you can troubleshoot the problem of the Asus keyboard not working on your PC. If the issue persists after implementing each method, then try to contact the service centre, or there could be hardware issues. In such a case, you will have to find the real cause and fix it. However, if you have any doubts regarding this tutorial then leave a comment below, and we will be happy to help you.